Video card advice

Ded

is Ded
Mar 4, 2007
Sorry to start a new thread about this..

Was wondering if anyone could help me, I'm not too graphics-card savvy. I want to upgrade my graphics card, and was wondering what would be best? For games of course, and not too pricey.

I've currently got a nvidia Geforce 256mb 7900 GT/GTO SLI
Also, 2GB RAM, Windows XP, AMD Athlon 64XD processor, if that helps..

Not too bothered about having the very best, saw some £50ish geforce 9400 on Amazon that looked ok, but /shrug

Thanks!! :D

Skindeep

Nov 21, 2009
if all you need is a card to play wow, and nothing other fancy, a 9XXX NVIDIA series card will make a good upgrade for you for sure :D

Lebuff

Huge, throbbing Member
May 1, 2007
I think Radeon HD 4650 is the best cheap card you can get right now. Go for a GeForce 9600 GSO if you want nvidia (alternative Radeon HD 4670).

Moy

Jul 12, 2009
Lebuff said:
I think Radeon HD 4650 is the best cheap card you can get right now. Go for a GeForce 9600 GSO if you want nvidia (alternative Radeon HD 4670).

I have a Radeon HD 512mb - works really well and its very good :) got mine for about 30-50 quid off ebaya while back ! its brilliant :) i use xp as well if thats any concelation

Croga

Says funny things =)
Sep 9, 2008
The Hellmouth
Going from the 7900 to a 9400 will not improve anything for you. The 7900 was the top end, the 9400 is the bottom of the new series.....

At this moment there are pretty sweet deals on the ATi HD5750 cards. They will blow your brains if you're used to 7900. Should be available for about GBP 65-70. If that's too dear for you you could go for the 4650 as suggested, it's about the same range just the previous series. But the difference is absolutely huge. You might be able to find a HD4850 of 4870 for a decent price which would be a very good choice as well.

I'd stay away from any nVidia cards for the moment. Most are either renamed old cards or not-too-impressive new cards.

OP
D

Ded

is Ded
Mar 4, 2007
Hmmmm thanks for the advice ppls. I was only thinking about nVidia cause I thought an upgrade would be less likely to cause compatibility issues than something I've never tried.. I'm always worried about buying something that I can't get to work ^^; Never tried switching video cards before, dunno if my motherboard needs to be compatible.

Edit: Croga, where have you seen that card for only £75? I can't find it for less than £100..

Croga

Says funny things =)
Sep 9, 2008
The Hellmouth
Ded said:
Edit: Croga, where have you seen that card for only £75? I can't find it for less than £100..
It's about €105 in NL so I thought you should be able to get it for about GBP 70..... :(

Attreyu

Sep 7, 2009
bumped this thread cause

Graphics cards go BOOM BOOM

sooo my 8800ultras both went bang and are fucked, with a a baby due anyday now when the wife stops keeping it in. 9days overdue ftw i am on a limited budget wtb ideas for a new card plx atm looking at a Radeon 4870. anyone running this seems like good value for money off benchmark tests and stuff so plx all info welcome.

Croga

Says funny things =)
Sep 9, 2008
The Hellmouth
I'm running an HD4870 here and working like a charm. It depends a bit on the price though, if you can get an HD5850 for about the same price then go for that. If you can get an HD5770 for less than the 4870 then go for the 5770 (the 5770 is slightly slower but drains a lot less power).