Ursanis = Heroic Owltank

OP
Braque

Braque

Dec 14, 2005
Gink said:
rofl, awsome!
btw Braq, using the blizz mac-recorder thingy?

Yeah, then adding titles/music and re-encoding in iMovie.

It works great, I'm really impressed, been doing these all on a laptop. :D

Ayu

You need help.
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
What are the specs of that Laptop? I was playing with the thought of recording movies myself but I fear that will lag me quite a lot.

Got an AMD 3700+ (2.2 real GHz), 2 GB RAM.

Also, at how much MBs of disk space are you looking for a 30 min recording?

Joy

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Ayu said:
What are the specs of that Laptop? I was playing with the thought of recording movies myself but I fear that will lag me quite a lot.

Got an AMD 3700+ (2.2 real GHz), 2 GB RAM.

Also, at how much MBs of disk space are you looking for a 30 min recording?
You have a Mac then? If not, you really can't expect the same kind of performance as Braque.

Joy

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Yea, well you can use Fraps, but that has a big impact on framerate, much less so than the built-in Mac capturing thing.

OP
Braque

Braque

Dec 14, 2005
2.33 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB of 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM
256MB ATI Radeon X1600 (1440x900)
OS X 10.4.10

The movies come out of WoW at about 10MB/minute the the encoding settings I'm using.

Bani

Apr 13, 2007
Berlin
Ayu,

the most important thing is really that it's a dualcore and that you record to a separate hard disk. As long as that's the case (couldn't tell from your CPU description), recording on a PC is quite doable as well :yes:

Blozzom

Nov 3, 2005
Fraps is pretty good optimized. the most important thing is a Dual Core CPU and a decent frame rate during normal play. if you have 20fps in raids then Fraps aint for you :cry:

example: http://www.gfxtool.com/wow/Dance.zip (aka. PDM sucked at Heigan)

recorded using Fraps in 1280x1024 @ 30fps to show people how much they suck at the heigan dance (seriously, moving left/right a few times isn't that hard and we still lost ~20-25 ppl each time we killed him).

in 1280x1024 it used about 1gig hdd space per minute iirc .... haven't recorded in that res for ages now :angel:

and since I am back on Turalyon you can /poke me in-game if you need some help/advice about Fraps and videos :D

PS: or you can use half-size recording in Fraps to reduce fps problems, like in that infamous video I made from our Twin Emps kill with that fat bear tank: http://www.gfxtool.com/wow/Twemps.zip (aka MM vs. Twin Emps)

Ayu

You need help.
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Bani said:
Ayu,

the most important thing is really that it's a dualcore and that you record to a separate hard disk. As long as that's the case (couldn't tell from your CPU description), recording on a PC is quite doable as well :yes:

It's a single CPU and does it have to be physical different harddrive or will another partition work? I do have 2 HDDs but the one I would have to record on already failed me once (got corrupted and stuff) and I am only using it store some semi-useful data on which I won't miss if the drive dies.

OP
Braque

Braque

Dec 14, 2005
You don't have to be running muli-processor (ie Duel Core), and you don't have to be streaming to a separate hard drive, but both of those things will massively reduce the impact the capturing process has on your game performance. Streaming to a different partition on the same physical disk won't make any difference.

The reason to use a different hard drive is so that streaming out your movie doesn't slow down loading stuff in for the game. Hard drives are mechanical devices, and reading or writing data to/from different places (ie, your WoW game data, and your movie) involves physically moving the read head of the drive, which is (compared to anything else your computer has to do) S L O W.

FWIW I don't use 2 disks, and my built in laptop hard drive is not especially fast.

Best thing to do Ayu is just download Fraps and have a go. :)

Bani

Apr 13, 2007
Berlin
Braque said:
You don't have to be running muli-processor (ie Duel Core), and you don't have to be streaming to a separate hard drive, but both of those things will massively reduce the impact the capturing process has on your game performance. Streaming to a different partition on the same physical disk won't make any difference.

The reason to use a different hard drive is so that streaming out your movie doesn't slow down loading stuff in for the game. Hard drives are mechanical devices, and reading or writing data to/from different places (ie, your WoW game data, and your movie) involves physically moving the read head of the drive, which is (compared to anything else your computer has to do) S L O W.

FWIW I don't use 2 disks, and my built in laptop hard drive is not especially fast.

Best thing to do Ayu is just download Fraps and have a go. :)
The difference is that Fraps records barely compressed video (like cited above, 1 gb per minute, or around 16 MB / sec), whereas Macs use the 2nd CPU to do realtime MP4 (iirc?) encoding. So Macs need that 2nd core more, Fraps really needs that 2nd HDD :)

Cronocious

Mar 24, 2007
Might want to try gamecam..less fps buggering from that..even managed to make it work on my 1 frame per hour laptop :yes: