Red dots on dark colored screen.

Stronghammer

The strong one!
Apr 20, 2009
The Netherlands
Hey,

Tush seems to have a problem as of late and I cant seem to get it fixed.
Whenever there is a dark color on screen (desktop included), random red pixel like dots appear at random locations. When you drag a box over it with the mouse the dots dissapear.

I already tried a few things but nothing helped, and google is in this case not much of a friend.
- Checked GPU temp. 32c idle, not above 40c ingame so OK
- Cleaned videocard
- Checked and replaced DVI cables
- Reinstalled drivers
- Reinstalled downgraded drivers
- Reseated the videocard
Edit: Tried a different monitor also, no change.

On the odd note; Whenever I un-install the GPU driver the issue is completely gone. Yet the issue comes back with whatever driver I install.
Edit 2: If my last resort will not work, I will consider the GPU to be dying since I am aware AMD drivers will activate hardware on the card that standard Windows drivers do not.

The card we use is an AMD R9 290, in her case the Sapphire.

I am going for my last resort soon, which is a complete and clean install of the entire computer (incl Windows). Unless any of you might have an idea?

Merlijn

Shadow Master
Mar 11, 2009
Sounds indeed like the card is dying. I once had something similar called artifacts which come in different shapes and sizes (here's a really extreme example:
). Everything worked fine in the BIOS / POST and whilst booting Windows but once in Windows the problem started appearing.

What you could try is creating a dual boot instead of reinstalling the system clean. If the problem remains (which it most likely will) then just removed the dual boot again and you're back without losing data.

Chances are really big that you'll need to replace the GPU though cause that was my solution back then.

Ayu

You need help.
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Bitch, please. You call that artifacting?

r4ehw6l.jpg

Reactions: Tyche
OP
Stronghammer

Stronghammer

The strong one!
Apr 20, 2009
The Netherlands
Heh, well the pixels/dots themselves are nothing extreme. But I noticed that watching videos is kinda devistating right now with all the artifacts on screen so yeah, im quite convinced the GPU is on the fritz now.

Mailed the store (Azerty) to see if there is still warrenty on it, hope so.

Atermors

Dec 2, 2010
OP
Stronghammer

Stronghammer

The strong one!
Apr 20, 2009
The Netherlands
Got back word from the store, warrenty is still valid.

Before sending it to em I will try the card on my own PC (have a 290 aswell), if problem is still present I might send it in on the count of that warrenty.

Tweaking and clocking with the card might help, but it has worked fine for over a year on just stock settings so don't really suppose the problem might be in one of those settings. Tho I might try the voltage, didnt think of that yet.

Thanks for the tips :)

Ozzimandius

The Beard and the Bacon
Apr 30, 2007
Tweaking and clocking with the card might help, but it has worked fine for over a year on just stock settings so don't really suppose the problem might be in one of those settings. Tho I might try the voltage, didnt think of that yet.

Don't you lose your warranty if you start doing that?