Mass effect - the conclusion (mucho spoilers, so beware!!!!)

Vessy

Puttin the slow in Onslow
Apr 13, 2009
HERE DEM SPOILUUUUURRRS AT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not since the ending of Battlestar Galactica have I witnesssed such nerdrage on the interwebz. So why not let it extend to this forum aswell. Or, if if you really liked it, explain why and perhaps you can ease the suffering for the rest.

There appears to be different reasons for not liking the ending. Some dislike the "plot-reveal" and the use of what they consider to be a deus ex machina. Others are fine with this, but hate the depressing aftermath, regardless of what option you choose.

My biggest beefs are with the plot itself. Since I didn't get to play with my original Shep and team I guess I am less "emotionally invested" than others, and therefore don't really care what happens to the team or if every outcome has my Shep sacrificing himself (and thus not beeing able to start a family and all that mumbojumbo). I'm actually fine with great sacrifices having to be made.
The following are what made the ending poor for me:

1. The Illusive Man turns out to be indoctrinated (revealed by the Catalyst). That's pretty boring. I think I'd like it better if he was just power hungry or looking to preserve humanity and ensure human domination (as indicated before speaking with the Catalyst). Instead it turns out that he was/would eventually have been controlled by the reapers.

2. The Catalyst. Old Species creates Reapers + Catalyst to exterminate (but at the same time preserve/ascend) evolved species. Reason? To prevent organic life from creating synthetics and thus hindering their inevitable subsequent extinction. In a way I am fine with the basic premise; old species encounters/witnesses/aquires knowledge of problem; finds solution they consider correct. But instead of creating the old-species-equivalent-of-a-SS-death-squad, wouldn't it just be easier to find a way of explaining the dangers of constructing sentinent AI to future organic species? Obviously that's like telling a kid to not do this and this, but they could chillax in dark space and offer their obliterating-services against the synthetics if things got really iffy. Must be better than having to come back every cycle and exterminate organics.

Also, if your goal is to prevent organics from creating synthetics, why would you leave the Mass Relays behind to let species "evolve in way [they (Reapers)] see fit" (Sovereign in ME1) if that road only leeds to certain demise anyway? A more appropiate reason in that case would be that it makes the harvesting alot more speedy/efficient, but that's not what Sovereign the Supercool said!

Additionally: Reapers 'under control' of something, makes them far less intimidating and much more insentinent and machinelike than the initial impression given in ME1 and ME2.

And how does Shepard reaching the catalyst actually change anything (according to the Catalyst, that is why Shep is given the choices in the end)? That the races of the galaxy were able to unite and wage war against the common foe, build the Crucible, and Shep managed to make his way through reaperinfested territory, does not mean that the galaxy has prevented or is even aware of the problem the Catalyst/Reapers are trying to solve (future organic extermination at the hand of synths). Thus there is really no need for the Catalyst to change his/her/it's approach and the cycles should continue. Having made peace between the Geth and the Quarians (if that was your outcome) does not necessarily change anything; who's to say they won't end up in eachothers faces again? Or that other synthetic life will not be created by other races?

Then there's the events of ME2. Why the sudden interest in a Human Reaper (ME2) if the only purpose it had was to open the "back door" (The Citadel). Atleast, If I remember correctly that was presumed by EDI to be it's purpose back then. And in that regard, and perhaps the biggest plot hole, is why would you even need a Reaper to open the back door (Sovereign in ME1, Human Reaper in ME2) if the Catalyst, the creation in control of the Reapers, is also running the Citadel (.... "the Citadel is a part of me").

Unless.... (see links below)

3. The Crucible. The premise of a superweapon beeing "handed down" from species to species where each species makes subsequent "additions" is a bit meh, but I guess it's passable. I probably missed something in my playthrough, but why where the Protheans unable to finish the Crucible because they were lacking the catalyst, yet the Prothean VI encountered in ME3 knows where/what it is?

4. Where the frack was Harbinger? "Ow yeah, 1 scripted event in which the antagonist that taunted you throughout ME2 lands and shoots stuff is gonna cut it". Needs more proper epic end battle, less Banshee rapefest in the streets of London (sidenote: God, I hate them banshees!)

5. The slightly depressing ending with all Mass Relays beeing obliterated and whatnot.

All in all the ending is a bit too BSGy for my taste.

Here's a few links (some 'positive', other's 'negative') for your reading/viewing pleasure:

That Tali thing you linked, Ayu? Here's another (just press search), hihi: http://www.google.com/imghp?hl=en&tab=wi&q=winter space

http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/s...nged-dramatically-big-big-spoilers.250066288/

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3449196&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=143

Some ME-original-ending-inspiration? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inhibitors_(Revelation_Space)#Inhibitors_.2F_Wolves

http://social.bioware.com/forums/forum/1/topic/355/index/9724883

I think I would've preferred the original ending.

Ayu

You need help.
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Same as Vessy's post, super huge SPOILERS.

1. Was fine IMO. Predictable but fine. It made the Reaper threat more tangible since the message is obvious: You cannot control them so don't try it. It doesn't make sense in the current ending cause apparently Shepard can control them but I think TIM being indoctrinated is a carry-over from before they changed the ending.

2. Makes no sense to me either. They should have stuck with the original ending (dark energy etc) since that foreshadowing and didn't directly undermine what you saw on Rannoch when you saw that geth and quarians could achieve peace. Or if not that, why not give Shepard the option to even bring that up?

3. The writers kinda wrote themselves in a corner. Reapers were too strong to fight conventionally so they had to bring up a device. I'll just stick with my theory that the Protheans ran out of time but knew where the Catalyst was. You know whats more interesting though? The Catalyst was supposed to be the last Prothean squad member before they changed the script and made him a DLC.

4. Yeah, that bummed me out as well. I was hoping to hear him taunt Shepard at some point or another, but alas. :/

5. All the ending sucks. Not only because they are depressing but they make no sense in the Mass Effect universe. The theme was never organics vs synthetics, it was about facing impossible odds and still surviving. About hope. None of that matters in ME 3 apparently. I would even be fine with Shepard dying in the "control" ending (cus fuck synthesis and destroy ending - why would you kill geth and EDI?) if there was a proper conclusion. I wanted to know what happened to everyone after the credits and hoped for some epilogue. But no, nothing was there. What happened to your squad? What happened to the krogan population? Did the geth and quarians have long lasting peace?

Basically:

- What was the point of every damn choice in ME 3 if it didn't affect the ending? Apparently you would get the same ending if you were a moronic genocidal renegade Shepard that screwed over the krogan, killed either quarians or geth (and you might as well kill the quarians so you can destroy all synthetic life later on because, you know, it doesn't matter), imported with only 2 squad mates alive, killed as many other NPCs in ME 1 and ME 2 as possible etc.

- What happened to the crew? Not showing us the post-war galaxy is already a serious problem (did the krogans and geth/quarians learn from their mistakes or will the same shit happen again?) but not even showing us what happened to the people we care about, influenced the action of and kept alive? How the hell did Liara even make it back on the Normandy when she got incinerated by the same reaper that left Shep for dead?

- In every ending the mass relays get destroyed with the Normandy crash landing on a (what seems) garden world. With only FTL travel left, how will they even survive long enough to get back to Earth/meet other humans? The Normandy has like 6 females (Gabby, Taynor, those two female marines, Allers and Chakwas with 2 more I assume are dead because they are combatants (Liara and Tali)), so how exactly do you sustain a population with that if you can't get back home? If you get home, what will you find? Do all the aliens have to stay because they are trapped in your system and can't make it back with just FTL travel (for added bonus, think about how the salarians only live ~40 years so they are probably the first ones to die before even leaving the system or something). Also, are the turians and quarians now going to starve because they can't eat the same food as everyone else? Are the turians going to live with quarians in their ships or what?

Ayu

You need help.
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Basically:

qm.gif

http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/36jixl/

Stronghammer

The strong one!
Apr 20, 2009
The Netherlands
More spoilers! :p

From what I remember from the prothean VI you talk to in ME3, the protheans knew the cypher was the citadel itself (yet ofc no idea what exactly). He also said there were large factions of protheans that wanted to control the reapers rather then to destroy which led to internal voilent conflict (they also found out those factions were indoctrinated like TIM is).

For the reason why the mass relays were built in the first place, I do beleive sovereign and the prothean VI explained that part in detail back in ME1, the reapers keep those in place so races have acces to the citadel (perfect place for advanced races to have their leaders in) so the reapers are in control of the tech advancement of all species (prothean and citadel/relay tech) and taking out the top leaders in the first blow

Edit: There is 1 thing that has troubled me trough out my entire gameplay ever since I reached palaven, the turian homeworld is under siege like earth is and they have the biggest fleet that there is yet instead of using it to defend palaven they save it entirely for the push on earth, this made it look to me that the turians seemed to understand that their homeworld is not to be saved unless the human project is safely finished and deployed, yet the only way they will send their fleet in is if you make sure the Krogan (still suffering from the genophase at that time) waste their lives trying to defend palaven from ground, wasting many krogan lives over nothing. It just didnt make sense to me at all.

My opinion: I agree with much of what is already in this topic and much of what is written in fora allover, the ending is way too dissapointing for all the "work" you put in to the damned case, the final scene with the space battle lacks any form of Volus ships (I know they have got a very tiny fleet, but I got several frigates and what not from scanning) nor any form of Elcor/Drell ground forces (which I also liberated) nor did I see ANY Ranchi which I saved in ME1 AND ME3, and where are the Batarians, the Blue suns, Eclipse and Bloodpack fleets/ground forces/mechs??? I also didnt like that they put in MP parts that hugely affect your SP game (warmap).
The choices we get on the citadel are also dissapointing, but nothing I wasnt expecting already. I didnt feel much for the ending (I picked destruction) apart from seeing Joker trying to outrun the blastwave in panicmode, I felt way more when you start the game and the first reapers hit Earth, or when Mordin went up the tower, cured the genophase and got blown to pieces, or the part where Legion had to sacrifice himself (I didnt realise that was happening untill he fell down) in order to get the reaper coding into all other geth making them true individual AI, or lets not forget the awesomeness that is the mother of all thrashermaws that gobbles down the reaper.
All in all i am quite happy with the game, the epic feeling has been with me all the way up untill the end and only ended after the final spacebattle movie for me but I felt really really fucked I did all those sidequests and scanning every single scannable region to not see anything in return other then higher numbers in the form of combat rating.

Mista

The Rogue
Aug 28, 2005
FYI biowares patch with more conclusive ending out tomorrow the 26th! (bet it'll be bad) :(

Mista

The Rogue
Aug 28, 2005
so what did you all think? personally I still think the fanmade indoctrination ending makes more sense and is better than the one we got now, but still, the DLC ending was a vast improvement over the lackluster original.

Mystara

Master of Elements
Staff member
Dec 4, 2009
Well it wasn't a hard task to improve from the original. For starters they fixed the hilarious bug I had where EDI got off the ship after I picked the destroy option. So much for all synthetics dying....

Slide show was kinda lazy but worked and if they'd done it before dlc I don't think it would of bothered me as much as it did. Although I wonder what the picture of Rannoch looks like if you side with the geth killing the quarians but then pick destroy killing the geth. Guess it just doesn't show you a picture at all....

Still quite a few plot holes even with the new endings. The major one for me was, why did the Normandy land considering it's not fucked by the relay blasts any more? But maybe they'll fix them if they do a ME4 or ME0 depending on what direction they want to go.

Edit: Also destroy doesn't just detonate anything synthetic. So i'm ok with the gasp considering that at that point you're practically a 40k "spess mahreen" decked out in non intelligent implants which won't be affected.

Ayu

You need help.
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
I liked the Control ending now. It was pretty much the ultimate Paragon conclusion. Sucks you are still dead in a way, but when the Reapers started rebuilding the relays I was reminded of this:

Ending.jpg

So it was all cool.

I also managed to get the Refusal ending twice, once intended and the second time when I shot the kid in the face he was all like "SO BE IT /pout" and I was like ???