Halp!!

Ded

is Ded
Mar 4, 2007
Ahhh I've totally lost my internet connection on my PC (this is sent from my crappy laptop), and I dunno where it's gone..

I just cannot connect to the net. It's running fine, the ethernet cable works in my laptop.. but when I try it on my PC nothing happens. Strange thing is when I unplug it it still says "network cable unplugged" and such, but when it's plugged in it just doesn't seem to connect.

I cannot even access my router through it, or find out if I have any IP address with ipconfig.....

It's an integrated network thing on my motherboard, which is ASUS M2N-E SLI..

Any assistance would be appreciated X_X maybe it's just fried and I need a new network card.. very annoying :/

Merlijn

Shadow Master
Mar 11, 2009
Check device manager, try 2nd network card if you have one onboard. Did you update any drivers recently?

Ayu

You need help.
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
It's prolly Award BIOS so look for Integrated Peripherals menu and for something named Onboard LAN or Network stuff and make sure it's enabled.

OP
D

Ded

is Ded
Mar 4, 2007
Device manager says it's working fine.. I don't have a 2nd card to test tho.

I checked in the BIOS and it says it's enabled.. It's a mystery :/

Merlijn

Shadow Master
Mar 11, 2009
I don't understand how you can't get any info from IPConfig.... this must be where the most valuable info is obtained atm :p

Gloryfool

Jun 22, 2009
grab a second network card from shops if all else fails as they are dirt cheap tbh. (even i could afford one and im always broke ) :)

OP
D

Ded

is Ded
Mar 4, 2007
I think that's what I gotta do.. I hope that'll sort it though, it's the only thing I can think of doing..

Gloryfool

Jun 22, 2009
i have 2 spare, i could always post you one but not sure on how quick you would get it and also its probably cheaper to buy one than post one of mine lol

OP
D

Ded

is Ded
Mar 4, 2007
T_T I got a new network card, put that in, drivers etc.. works fine. But still the same problem, no internet! My computer refuses to connect to my router. And on the very same cable my laptop works fine....

ipconfig says:
An internal error occured: The request is not supported.
Please contact Microsoft support services for futher help.
Additional information: Unable to query routing information.

I've googled for hours trying to find the problem, replacing tcpip.sys and all sorts, but nothing.. :( dunno what to do..

Maybe reinstalling Windows? Is that possible without having to spend aaages backing up and moving my data back/reinstalling stuff?

OP
D

Ded

is Ded
Mar 4, 2007
Well I'm back up and running again..... you wouldn't believe what the problem was -.-

Norton internet security has tried to block a "suspicious" program, that was accessing the internet at the time it all went wrong, and it removed everything to do with how my computer connects to the net from the registry....

I only got it all back by telling Norton to bring the file and all associations back from quarantine, and ignore it in the future -.-;

Bought that network card for nothing now :/ at least I have a spare..

Lebuff

Huge, throbbing Member
May 1, 2007
If anti-virus software was any better than actual viruses, I might consider using it.