First impressions from patch 5.0.4

Whitepaw

Raider
Aug 13, 2012
Highly subjective feedback, but with all the theorycrafting out there, I figured some good ol' "Is it fun to play?"-feedback would be appropriate (I have included some links from experts).

Guardian (that's the Bear tanking spec for durids!):
- Feels viable = you tank stuff, do high damage and survive.
- Survivability is dependant on use of Savage Defense. Since that mechanic is powered by Rage, has an internal CD AND has charges, some kind of tracking tool is needed, so my eyes don't sprint around the screen to pick up needed info.
- The dps CD's (esp. Incarnation) loads you with Rage and thereby boosts your survivability. Its difficult to die with Incarnation up, as long as you spam Savage Defense. As the spell effect for Incarnation is kool, it's a real joy to use it. They could have removed it from the GCD, though ;)
- Bears hit like a truck. There are other stories out there ("I lost ma deepeesss) - they are wrong. When the Guardian starts up, he eats face.
- The spec feels kinda half-baked, though. Maul is still there, but not used that much (Rage iz 4 Savage Defense! And Frenzied Regen). Lacerate still stacks 3 times, but no more Pulverize (and Lacerate has a CD now). The spec still doesn't have a ranged spell interrupt - unless you glyph Faire Fire, but that introduces a CD on an ability you want to use as part of your rotation.

Is it fun: hmm....

The odd part is that we should move to an active mitigation model. Guardians don't get active mitigation - we get tons of passive mitigation (by Thick Hide, Barkskin, Survival Instincts and our Mastery) and instead, we get active avoidance (Savage Defense gives extra dodge) and a really good selfheal (Frenzied Regen). The point of activating dodge is ok, i.e. viable and competitive - but the feedback is a LOT of dodges in the combat text. It just doesn't feel very awesome.

However, the talented CD's are kool. Incarnation is a solid mechanic with a cool visual feedback (Armorbear - a REAL tank!), Nature's Swiftness gives a Guardian a lot of options (heal, CC, battle res) while tanking, Typhoon is win etc.

All in all, I feel that Savage Defense should be made more entertaining and Maul could be a better ability.

Link: http://theincbear.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=697

Feral (cat iz 4 fite!):
- It's awesum, hands down - in pve. The change to Savage Roar (WotLK model) makes for a fairly difficult rotation to master, as Blizzard has also added other mechanics to the toolbox. Some of these are not available until lvl 87/90, but cats have their paws full at lvl 85 already.
- However, in pvp...Well, the loss of basically having the bear as a full-blown tank before the patch will be felt. It raises the skill bar significantly, esp. for survivability. There are a LOT of conditions, on-use abilities, finishers (a cat has 4 ways to use combo points - with a selfbuff being highest prio dps-wise), procs etc. That's fine and fun in pve, but if you want to win in pvp, its an advantage to lower the skillcap on playing your toon, so you can concentrate on watching your opponents. Cats will have a hard time in pvp (and I will love my Naga MMO mouse even moar!).
- Did I mention that the changes to run speed really shows for Ferals? We're talking approx. 300% run speed in travel form, with pvp gear, boot enchant, Stampeding Roar and the talent Feline Swiftness.

Link: http://fluiddruid.net/feral-druid-changes-in-patch-5-0/

Unholy DK (haven't played this char that much, but still....):
- It feels a lot like pre-patch - which I think is great.
- Again, the biggest change is in the talents. I esp. like Blood Tap and Unholy Blight. Blood Tap gives you the ability to trigger a Death Rune on demand. This sounds boring - but it gives you so much more control of your rotation and its fun! Unholy Blight is a real helper in keeping the rotation up and allowing more Scourge Strikes - and the spell effect looks really kool.
- The glyphs to DK are nice - the best is probably the minor glyph that stops your Army from taunting. Expect to see that ability used a lot more in 5 man instances.
- The only real downside so far is the survivability of Timmy the Permaghoul. Timmy is now pretty squishy and should be watched often. Oh, and suddenly I am using Huddle to keep him alive (or undead, instead of really truly dead!).

Link: http://elitistjerks.com/f72/t130584-unholy_dps_welcome_jungle_5_0_4_a/

Bani

Apr 13, 2007
Berlin
Shadow Priest is loads of fun, but Mind Sear is like lvl60 Holy Nova now, and having Dispel and Remove Disease taken away sucks :(
DPS went up 30% at least, too.

Bani

Apr 13, 2007
Berlin
Was that already live yesterday evening? That's when I tested. The post is from 7am today (EU time)....

Ayu

You need help.
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
I dunno, but now that I think about it you are only supposed to Mind Sear if there are many targets and multi-dot with a medium amount of mobs. Did you try that? Failing that, get a Gurth on your DK alt and exploit the current bug that spawns 50 Mindflaying tentacles at once.

It's kinda like playing a Shadow Priest, except better.

Bani

Apr 13, 2007
Berlin
hey yeah I know about that, it's just that with 6-7 targets it still felt better to SWP everything than to Mind Sear.

And is the AoE cap gone? Because when I had truly insane amount of targets to AoE, Mind Sear was doing 70k+ ticks again (every .8 secs for me).

On a related note, the new spell pushback for channeled stuff is cool.

Ayu

You need help.
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
No idea, I just Death Strike stuff in the face. :V

Ozzimandius

The Beard and the Bacon
Apr 30, 2007
Resto shaman is awesome in both pve and pvp. The spells have nice synergy, the heals are potent. The talents are nice too ( apart from the crappy totem replacing, resetting totem cooldowns tier ).
I also like what Blizz has done to the role totems play in our arsenal, making them more situational and not last that long. Seriously, dropping a healing stream is like a snack break on a 30 second CD.

Elemental feels ok, some nice changes to lava surge although, maybe it's me ( in fact, it probably is ) but I still find the spec very frustrating in pvp.
Haven't tried enhance yet due ot lack of gear but might go to it for leveling in MoP.

Shadow priest is amazing.
BM hunter is even more enjoyable in pvp and am looking forward to some Beast cleave in pve.
Frost Death Knight, as always, is awesome but I do feel like there are periods of extended downtime. Perhaps this is due to runic empowerment and I should swith to runic corruption.

Ayu

You need help.
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
How much haste do you have on your DK? With 15%+ you should be fine tbh (and RE is still best for Frost).

Merlijn

Shadow Master
Mar 11, 2009
They are, I got Vampire Hunter when I'm logged on to my horde mage (which I created 2 months ago)

OP
Whitepaw

Whitepaw

Raider
Aug 13, 2012
After doing 5 man instances as Guardian and Feral PvP:

Guardian is doing ok. The buff to Thick Hide has made Savage Defence more of a CD you use when needed - instead of a CD you spam as soon as possible. You now seem to have a choice - and you have the time to actually make it.

Wild Charge is also amazing as Guardian. I now use it as both Feral and Guardian. Feral Swiftness might be superior in some encounters, Wild Charge is just more fun (and flexible)!

Maul still feels odd and somewhat unneeded. It's moving further and further away from my highest priority buttons on my keyboard and mouse.

Feral PvP is fun! The change to shifting mechanics (it now breaks roots - again) makes me wanna visit all the Frost mages I have met in Cata and exact my revenge (I have killed some of them already - repeatedly - 'cause that spec and its players deserve it). Feral is still vulnerable to way too much CC, but I suspect most melee specs have this perception. A design choice could be to remove all stun-mechanics from ranged specs, but I guess that just wont happen :(

Feral has regained the extreme mobility and has a high burst potential. It's survivability has been nerfed, but the high mobility reintroduces the jet-fighter strategy from previous expansions (zoom in, hurt some enemies, zoom back out again for some healing - rinse repeat as needed).

Resto druids: A tip I picked up on forums:
Wild Charge is somewhat relaxed to differences in the Z-axis between the druid (when in cat or humanoid form) and the target. Wild Charge will also zoom the druid to a healing mushroom (have not tried with boomkin mushroom). In short, resto druids now have a semi-portal ability (25 yards), on a 15 sec CD ;)